Monday, June 22, 2015

It's All About the Dress...

Over the past 5 or so years, I've realized that I don't so much want to actually be married as I really just like the idea of being married. In theory, having someone around to do stuff with sounds great; in reality, I like not shaving my legs and binge watching Netflix having freedom to do whatever my little heart pleases. This is fine. I've made peace with the fact that I may not be destined to find my lobster ("lots of fish in the sea" and all that jazz is a completely different blog). And while I'm perfectly content at this wise, nearly-dead, almost-thirty stage of my life with my decision, the only thing that I truly regret is not so much the lack of husband, but the lack of wedding day.

Maybe I've been misunderstanding other brides' feelings about their wedding day up until now, but it seems like it's a lot more about them and how beautiful everything is than it is about what's-his-bucket being The One. The marriage? Yeah, that's about what's-his-bucket. The wedding day? Not so much. After all, why do shows like 'Say Yes to the Dress' exist if it's not about the gown?

At any rate, I feel like I am still deserving of a day where I invite everyone I know to a fancy location to watch me parade around in the most beautiful dress they've ever laid eyes on. I want to walk slowly past family and friends, who are *literally* sobbing into their handkerchiefs over the level of preciousness my dress and I are attaining, and stand in front of them on a rotating stage while someone takes photos/videotapes. While eating some catered food, I want family and friends to give toasts to me that contain a healthy balance of wishes of well-being for my future and humorous anecdotes about their memories of me. Is this too much to ask? Probably I don't think so. 

I think this idea really begins to take shape if the name of the event is changed from 'My Non-Wedding Wedding Day' to 'Jill's 30th Birthday Party'. This gives everyone plenty of prep time for their toasts and allows me a year and three months to prepare for my death 30th birthday. 

Additionally, I feel like this party/event/tasteful circus will hit two birds with one stone. Not only will I hit the 'Wedding Day' bird square in the kisser, but that sneaky '30th Birthday, congratulations you're practically dead, here's a cane and an AARP brochure' bastard of a bird will never see it coming. To ease me into my fourth decade here on Earth (Jesus, fourth decade...I just threw up in my mouth a little), I really feel like family, close friends, and a couple hundred acquaintances that are just there for the eclairs and atmosphere could bring this dream to fruition. Plus, it will be less weird when I hang an 11"x 14" classy portrait of myself in my home if it was from a Tribute/Living Funeral birthday party.

You have 15 months to prepare. I expect gifts and a toast from every individual nothing but your warm smiles on that day.

Editor's Note: I realize the amount of self-absorption in my life this article is unsettling a trifle much, however, I took a personality test years ago, and my psychologist said he was honestly surprised the Narcissism measure didn't score higher with me and I'm actually no more self-involved than the next girl. Rest easy.


3 comments:

  1. Does the Mother-of-Jill have specific duties for this delusion/great party idea I should be aware of? Do I get to wear a corsage on my pre approved pink or purple dress? (I'm assuming these will be your colors)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colors are up for grabs, at this point. You don't have any duties besides looking fabulous.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't be more excited for this event :)

    ReplyDelete